Summer Fruit Éclair Pie with Acai Cream
For the pastry:
a pinch of salt
75g unsalted butter
100g strong white bread flour
3 medium eggs
For the pastry cream:
6 egg yolks
100g granulated sugar
40g plain flour
For the acai cream:
300ml whipping or double cream
3 tablespoons icing sugar
2 tablespoons acai powder
around 200g berries of your choice
a handful of mint leaves
a 20 cm ceramic flan dish, pie dish or a cake tin
To make the pastry:
- Place the butter, salt and water in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over a medium heat until the butter has melted.
- Turn up the heat to high and cook until the mixture is boiling.
- Quickly add the flour to the mixture and whisk rapidly with a wooden spoon until it comes together and forms a neat ball.
- Turn down the heat to medium, and cook while whisking energetically for another two minutes (be careful not to burn the dough).
- Place in the fridge until the dough has cooled down completely.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until a smooth paste forms.
- Using your fingertips, line the baking dish with the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake the pastry for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180C and bake for further 20 minutes.
- Let the pastry cool down completely before filling with cream.
To make the pastry cream:
- Pour the milk into a large pan and heat over a medium heat until it boils.
- Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add the plain flour and cornflour and continue beating until combined.
- Finally add 125ml (half cup) of the warm milk and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan with remaining milk and set over a medium heat to cook while whisking continuously.
- Bring the mixture to boil and continue cooking until it has thickened slightly. Set aside to cool down.
To make the acai cream:
- Pour the cream into a medium bowl.
- Add icing sugar and acai powder.
- Beat with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Fill the éclair pastry with the pastry cream first, then with the acai cream. Top with some fruit and mint leaves.
- Store the pie in a fridge.