Gluten Free Cupcakes with Acai and Blueberry Frosting
This article is from our guest blogger The Bake Away. You can find more delicious recipes here
For the cupcakes:
150g rice flour
50g cornflour or potato starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
130g granulated sugar
3 medium eggs
70g unsalted butter
For the acai and blueberry frosting:
340g fresh or frozen blueberries
125g granulated sugar
3 tablespoons acai powder
375g mascarpone cheese
1 gelatin sheet
12 hole muffin tin
12 cupcake liners
A piping bag
Large star piping tip
To make the cupcakes:
- Combine the rice flour, cornflour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and continue beating.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and mix well until well combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in 180°C for around 20-25 minutes.
To make the frosting:
- Place the blueberries and sugar in a small pan and set over a medium heat to cook.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatin sheet in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Bring the blueberry mixture to boil and add the gelatin sheet. Continue cooking for around 10-15 minutes.
- Take the blueberry sauce off the heat and whisk in the acai powder. Set aside to cool down completely.
- Beat the cold blueberry sauce and mascarpone cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and shiny.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with a star nozzle attached and pipe around the cupcakes.
- Store in the fridge.